Wednesday, 26 August 2015

It's Not Fair to Cheat....

     Unfortunately I couldn't find the video (posted below) in English, or with subtitles. Interestingly enough, it is by a young Japanese fellow, in Spanish!!
     The video talks about honesty and integrity, and basically Yokoi Kenji talks about values and how they affect society in general. In his presentation he talks about being honest, when no one is looking, and in every area of life. Then he goes on to discuss the corruption that plagues Latin America, and what he thinks would help change that panorama. Basically he says that it is ludicrous to expect our governments to act with integrity and honesty, or to legislate it, from the top down, if they haven't personally learnt it beforehand. According to Yokoi, these values need to be taught and modelled in the home. An example he gives is the father that tells his son that it's wrong to lie, and then asks him to repeat it 100 times so that he won't forget. Suddenly the phone rings and he tells his son to answer it, and to say that he's not there.  What Yokoi wants us to understand is that 30% is taught and the other 70% is modelled. The son in question learns that it is actually okay to lie under certain circumstances...
     I remember having a conversation with a taxi driver in Nicaragua a number of years ago. They were in pre-election mode and I asked for his thoughts regarding the different political parties. His reply was cynical and discouraging. Basically he said that all of the parties were a 'pack of liars and thieves'. I suggested that kids that grow up in the upper class, and learn early in life that everything can be arranged, or bought, or 'fixed' somehow, couldn't really be expected to suddenly have integrity once they became the president or part of parliament. Wouldn't it make more sense if all the taxi drivers would charge an honest fare, all the tradesmen would demonstrate honesty and integrity, and a movement would start from the bottom up - grassroots. Would that not produce a better chance of changing society than expecting a change via elections? The only real difference between the lack of integrity in a poor labourer and a president is the extent of their power, or 'reach'. He nodded pensatively and gave his assent. It has been said that it is "better to light a candle than to curse the darkness..."
      Application: what are we doing to train our children, in terms of values, morals, and integrity? Are we expecting them to pick this up in school, on the playground, in church, via osmosis? Is not one of our biggest influences on tomorrow's society precisely demonstrated in terms of what values we instil in our children today? Pretty tall order, especially since it doesn't really work to expect them to "do as I say, not as I do." I have some concerns about the upcoming generation, and I'm guessing the most critical turning point will have to do with what values we are, or are not, instilling. What say you?

Here's the video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lk1-916Pt8s

-submitted by Ernie Koop

No comments:

Post a Comment